Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Throwback Post: 1st Foodie Pic

I haven't updated this blog in a long while. I'm going to resuscitate it since I collected so many food pictures throughout the years.

For my first new post, I'll start off with my 1st foodie pic I found on my old phone.

                                                Here is what my old phone used to look like:

Sony Ericsson W810i

Interestingly, it looks like I used this phone for many years going by the timestamps (I didn't get my first smartphone until 2010). Camera phones were very primitive back in 2006. This one had a whopping 2mp camera. It was considered pretty "advanced" at the time with a flash and autofocus. In fact, the first iPhone was released with a 2mp camera too (no flash!). 

Without further adieu..

First foodie picture taken at Hifumi Restaurant

Thinking about Hifumi Restaurant brings back a flow of nostalgia. This was our go-to Japanese restaurant. It was located in Chinatown. The owner was always so courteous to my family. Apparently, the restaurant was open for ~30 years. 

I always ordered the Wafu Steak with Tempura and Sashimi combo. The Wafu steak had a savory garlic based sauce and served on a cast iron platter. It always arrived at the table, steaming hot and still sizzling, filling the room with such an amazing fragrance. I don't think any other restaurant had this dish at the time. 

Their shrimp tempura was known as "jumbo" and believe it or not, their shrimp was quite large back in the day. As time went on, however, the shrimp became tinier; likely a cost cutting measure. 

Back in the day, this combo was maybe around $12. A meal with this spread would likely be over $20 today. 

Unfortunately, Hifumi Restaurant closed late ~2010 or early 2011. I believe the owner said the business was struggling so she ended up closing. I went there for one last hurrah. Guess what I ordered? 

Last visit in 2010

Fast forward over a decade later...Honestly, I am not sure what restaurant took its place. I'm sure many restaurants came and gone but Hifumi will always have a nostalgic space in my tummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment