Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The Quest to Find a Great Donut

About a year ago, Dunkin' Donuts opened in Hawaii.  I remember when it first opened, the lines wrapped around the block and the drive-thru was a nightmare.  I suppose in a way, the hype for Dunkin died down..most of the time I pass by, it's not very busy.  I found it rather ironic because over a decade ago, Dunkin exited the Hawaii market.  Somehow within recent years, they decided that they'd like to re-establish their donut foothold.  

I don't usually crave Dunkin' because it's too sweet.  Although I enjoy a donut from time to time, I'm not sure if I would go out of my way for their donuts. 

Dunkin' Donuts. My sister bought this for us. It was okay but too sweet.
However....

Recently, a new donut shop has been making huge strides in Hawaii.  The backstory goes: "2 former bartenders decided to trade their strainers for a fryer." This shop is located in Kaka'ako and goes by the name Purve'.  It's definitely a play on words because I suppose it can be pronounced as "pervy" or "perv" as my friends call it.  Or it can be pronounced as "purvey," which I definitely feel this little shop is trying to do to differentiate itself from the run-of-the-mill, boring donut. 

The names of each donut is carefully albeit playfully created.  Names range from the "O-face" to the "Sanchez" or even other silly names like "It's Okay, It's Your Dog," "Unicorn Butt Sneeze," and "You're Killing Me Smalls" (name that movie!).  Each name will definitely tickle your pickle..pun intended.  Even their logo is quite creative.  Imagine a unicorn farting (hence the unicorn butt sneeze donut).

Purve' Donut Stop makes handcrafted morsels of crispy goodness.  Up until trying their donuts, I don't think I've ever had a donut so fresh and crispy.  I don't consider myself a donut connoisseur but at some other donut shops, you can taste the stale oil.  Luckily at Purve', the oil stays fresh and each donut is fried in small batches so it doesn't have that lingering aftertaste.  The shop gets quite busy but I can tell you, the hype is real.  Some flavors are a bit sweet for me but the creativity and uniqueness of each donut is worth skipping your diet for a day..or two.  

Top left: Unicorn Butt Sneeze. Top Right: You're Killing Me Smalls. Middle Left: Ala Wai Tea Bag. Middle: Na-na-nut Buster. Bottom Right: Hulk Smash
My favorite flavors are the Na-na-nut Buster, which is a Haupia Glaze with macadamia nuts and chocolate banana, and the Hulk Smash has a mint glaze with an oreo crumble.

The quest to find a great donut is over.  Forget Dunkin'. Purve' is where it's at.

Rating:
Image result for 4.5 stars

Update: Purve' Donuts now has a new location at Kuono Marketplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment